Wednesday 30 September 2015

The Ten Best Things About Rainy Days


So I don't know about you but I really do love rainy days. It is now slowly reaching the peak of fall (which is also my favourite season... more on that later ;)) here in Ontario, and this week was one last blast of warm weather... minus today that is. Today it was a downpour of all of the rain saved up during those last beautiful days of summer, which is why I am writing all about why I love rainy days.

Beautiful isn't it?
I know a lot of people dislike the fact that the rain can mess up your day, it can slow down traffic, get you wet and soggy, and keep you from spending hours outside. I believe that when you really consider it, rainy days are wonderful.  I mean don't get me wrong, it is not as if I would like to go out and live on the coast where it rains 280 days out of 365; however, the coast of Canada (east or west) are absolutely amazing and gorgeous!!!

Continuing now...

The reasons I love rainy days, and fall rainy days best of all are listed right here. So when you need a new outlook on rainy days or you are stuck in side and not impressed with the rain, come here and be glad :). All you need to do is keep on reading!

10. Getting Things Done Around Town 
I don't know about you but I have a nasty habit of spending amazing days outside and neglecting some of the duller things I may need to accomplish in a day. I mean, doesn't a day in the sun, or a day on the beach sound better than driving to the doctors for a check up, or going to pick up toiletries from the store. It 100% does for me!

However, this is real life and those things do need to get done... which is why rainy days are the best for that. You aren't wasting one of the amazing days in fall or summer inside or running around, I find that the rainy days really allow you to be productive and get all the necessities out of the way so you can enjoy the sun (once it comes out to say hello again.)

Hello Mr. Sun, It's nice to see you again. 

9. Getting Things Done Around the House
Turn up that music and give it a try!
Similar to the last post, Rainy days really and truly can be productive and constructive. With the Sun playing hide and seek and a little moisture in the air you can complete a deep clean on the house. Dusting, vacuuming, mopping and decluttering sometimes may not be your favourite thing to do, even if it is rainy out, but I have some tips to help!

TURN IT UP!!!  (the music I mean). I pop in a CD, crank up my Ipod, or turn on Songza (or your favourite site) and clean clean clean. Do I sing out loud (out of tune) and dance like a mad woman... well yes I do but it makes the time fly by and in no time the house is spotless!!! Cleaning really can be enjoyable and in the end you can see all of your progress and maybe get rid of the clutter while you're at it!

8. Getting Outside in the Rain
It would make sense to put this activity before the cleaning, but lets be real playing in the rain is way more fun than cleaning!!!
Image result for Rainboots and Jackets
How Cute is This!!???!!

***as a reminder you may want to do this one before you deep clean the floors ;)***

Playing outdoors in your rubber boots and bright coloured rain jackets is one of the most amazing things to do! It makes me feel as if I am still a kid. You can go puddle jumping and running in the fields without a care in the world. Play with coloured umbrellas and finding the new joys of all the seasons during a rainy day.
You know that you all have some rain gear that is sitting in the closet stuffed away that really wants to go on an adventure with you. Why not take it down and plan a great day!

7. Warming up with a Cup of Tea and Great Friends
Another reason I love rainy days is that it is the perfect way to reconnect with old friends. Why not just warm up the kettle get out the teapot and shoot them a message to come over for a short catch up session. Sometimes life becomes busy and there are so many excuses for not seeing each other very often. Well why not clear up time when it is raining, when your day really can be freed up. Take this time and enjoy it!

My Grandmother's Beautiful China
( I love an excuse to bring it out, you'll see it a lot more)
In autumn there is truly nothing better than a delicious warm cup of tea and rekindling friendships or just being with the ones you love and see everyday. It makes you take time and reflect on the best things in your life.

6. Going Out to the Movies... (or staying in)
I absolutely Love Love Love movies of all kinds!!!! If I have some extra time, not even on a rainy day I will turn on Netflix or pop in one of my many movies and enjoy. However, rainy days open up hours of enjoyable time (once the house is clean of course;)).Cuddling up with one of my many blankets or quilts and turning on a feel good movie to spend a great afternoon with the boyfriend or even by myself.

If I have the time for more than one movie, it doesn't even matter what the genre is, just a great movie with an enticing plot and a captivating cast of characters to lose yourself in.

Some of the treats ;)
Now if you venture out to go see the movie at a theatre that can sometimes be more enjoyable. You can escape into the theatre to be engulfed by the movie atmosphere, the big screen, the treats and excitement!!

I am not really a TV person so movies are the best things for me!! Short and sweet :). If you are a TV person check out Netflix or Crave TV and get your fill during a rainy day!

5. Spending the Day at the Book Store (or the mall)
I am more partial for the book store, wandering the shelves seeing what new surprises are hiding behind every cover and title!! Have you ever been to the book store to just experience it? I suggest you try, don't go to buy anything or really with anything in mind. Go there and wander the shelves and be with the books and the people. It is a pretty amazing experience to be among so much unread literature and to sense the energy of all of the stories and "lives" yet to be experiences and learned about.... I know, I know this is getting a little new age for some of you. I really do love my books and book stores. I will talk more about that and why I love them at a later date. Hopefully you stay tuned!!

If you want to try something new today, go to your nearest book store and give it a try. Be open to looking around and maybe your'll find something new out about yourself and your interests! Sent me a message if you do! I would love to hear about your experiences.

4. Baking, Cooking and Finding New Recipes
Don't these Cinnamon Buns look amazing!!!! (They were delicious by the way)
Rainy days sometimes require a little bit of comfort food. I agree that sometimes the rain can be a little much, especially after 5-8 days in a row. However, if you ever start to feel a little stir crazy or start to get cabin fever why not plan a new recipe or bake your favourite dessert or treat. There is something about the smell of fresh baked goods that brings a smile to my face and can change the energy of a home. It can bring life to a soggy atmosphere. So the next time you are stuck at home and you don't feel like going out in the rain and you are letting the weather weigh you down. Go to your cupboard and pick out your favourite cookbook, or go on Pinterest and explore for new recipes and spice things up. Bring the life back into the house :).

3. Crafting, Starting and Finishing Projects (you know you have some!!!)
When I was young, my mum always planned rainy day crafts for us and rainy day activities. This is a tradition that stuck with me. When it is dreary and wet out, I get an itch to craft, sew, knit or crochet, something to keep my mind busy and my fingers moving.

Really is there ever a bad time to get crafting, to start a new project or to put the final finishing touches on a project. I love those final moments of putting yourself into a project and the taking a step back and being able to enjoy the fruits of your labour. I just finished decorating and reorganizing my craft room. The Tutorial/Art for that room will come in a bit but here is the before and after. This was a wonderful rainy weekend project.

Nice and clean and bright :)
Before.. Mostly Storage



There are many crafts that will stem from this room. We have just moved into the house and settling in, so there are many more craft tutorials to come!! Here is one sneak peak of a quilt I framed and it is the art above my writing desk :)
My Writing desk with the nice pop of colour the tutorial will come soon
 What was the last thing you made? Do you enjoy crafting on rainy days?

2.Curling up on the Couch With a Great Book

I can't let an opportunity to read just pass by!!! As stated before I love to get lost in a story, finding new books and authors or rereading my old favourites.

Its amazing to escape into a book, to explore the rolling hills of Tuscany, or solve a mystery, get lost in space or fantasy or even learn about one of your real life heros. What is your favourite genre? Do you have one? Do you love to read on rainy days?

Do you love to get caught in a different reality, to escape and explore somewhere for a few hours?

George R.R Martin put it perfectly when he said " A reader lives a thousand lives, one who does not lives only one." Why waste a day, use any excuse to cuddle-up get comfy and fall into a book.

1. Slowing Down and Enjoying Being at Home

If you haven't noticed yet, a lot of my favourite things to do during rainy days has to do with slowing it down and enjoying time at home and with the people I love. I believe that rainy days are natures way of refuelling and nurturing the earth as well as us. So take this time and do an activity you enjoy or go out and be with someone you love. Rejoice and rejuvenate yourself!!

I hope you have enjoyed my initial top ten best things!! Many, many, more to come in the future...

I would love to hear from you all. What are your favourite things to do during a rainy day??

-Keep each day happy and live each day to the fullest-
-Even the rainy ones ;)-


No comments:

Post a Comment